The program covers topics like financial management, evaluating credit information, prequalifying & loan approval, financing options, shopping for a home, finalizing the loan, the closing process, maintaining your new home, avoiding foreclosure and predatory lending practices.
As part of your counseling session, our counselors will explain the full costs of homeownership and help you create a budget that balances your new obligations. Your
counselor will also highlight available resources that may be useful in meeting your financial needs.
- Evaluate various housing options for a client when summarizing the costs and benefits of renting versus purchasing a home.
- Apply knowledge regarding the funds a homeowner needs at the close of escrow for a home purchase and the funds a renter must come up with to sign a lease.
- Calculate a client’s maximum housing payment, including PITI for mortgages and rent/insurance for renting.
- Determine annual and monthly income for clients with various pay schedules and incomes and determine expenses based on documentation provided and a credit report.
- Calculate a client’s back-end ratio to determine if high debt is an obstacle to meeting housing goals.